Through the generosity of Mrs. Libby Reynolds, ground was donated and to be used for St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic Parish. Once the new church was completed, the corner stone for St. Thomas the Apostle School was laid in June 1927. In September of that year, the school was opened with an enrollment of one hundred students, supervised by the Dominican Sisters of Springfield, Illinois.
Today, St. Thomas the Apostle Catholic School is a school of approximately 400 students in preschool through eighth grade. Our state-accredited programs and our community service have been an important part of the Crystal Lake community for over eighty years.
Over the years, the physical plant has changed. As Crystal Lake has grown, so too has the Parish and school. More land was obtained for the school and a second building was added in 1958. The two school buildings were connected about fifteen years ago also adding a new gymnasium, music room, and science lab. This was accomplished through the City of Crystal Lake’s willingness to dedicate that portion of King Street that separated both buildings and agreeing with our plan to build on this space. This created a beautiful courtyard as home to the original concrete St. Thomas statue that was once part of Old St. Thomas the Apostle Church’s exterior.
We are continually upgrading the facilities. Recent improvements include new flooring in the technology lab and library, new library shelving, and air conditioning in the junior high building.